How To Identify The Type Of RAM
If your computer is running slow one of the easiest and most common upgrades you’ll hear of is updating your RAM. Here’s How To Identify The Type of RAM on your PC or Mac. This guide has information for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Mac
How To Identify The Type Of RAM in Windows 7 and Windows 8
1. Press ‘Windows-W’ to open the Settings page of the Search charm.
2. Type Task Manager into the search box and select the ‘View System Resource Usage in Task Manager’ search result. The Task Manager opens.
3. Click the ‘Performance’ tab, and then select the ‘Memory’ side tab.
4. Check the upper-right side of the Task Manager window to see the type of RAM installed on your computer. Different types of RAM include DDR SDRAM, DDR2 SDRAM and DDR3 SDRAM. However, the Windows 8 Task Manager omits the “SDRAM” part, and simply displays RAM type as “DDR,” “DDR2” or “DDR3.”
How To Identify The Type Of RAM in Windows 10
1. Open Task Manager in More details view.
2. Click/tap on the Performance tab, and click/tap on Memory.
3. You will see the size (ex: “32.0 GB”) and type (ex: “DDR3”) towards the top right corner.
Type of Computer RAM in Mac
1. Click the Apple Logo and go to ‘About This Mac‘ . An information box will pop up with your Mac’s processor’s name and speed, and the memory size, type and speed.
2. If you need a full technical breakdown report, click on ‘System Report‘. There you will find all the components separated into different tabs.
These are a few ways to identify what kind of RAM your computer has installed. Knowing this information is essential when replacing RAM modules or to even determine if your computer meets a program’s requirements. If you need help determining the RAM in your computer, contact Green Shield Technology.